LISA E. A. WATSON BAA BPsyc CCAC CSIC CTRC CGSC CALC
Kingston, ON K7P 0A3
Cell: (613) 530-6270
St. Lawrence College, Kingston, ON
- Bachelor of Applied Arts in Behavioural Psychology (with distinction) 2014
- General Arts & Science Pre-Behavioural Psychology Certificate (with distinction) 2010
- General Arts & Science Diploma (with distinction) 2000
LaSalle Secondary School, Kingston, ON
- Honours Secondary School Graduation Diploma (with distinction) 1984
Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF)
- Canadian Certified Addiction Counsellor
Canadian Council of Professional Certification Global (CCPC Global)
- Certified Trauma Recovery Counsellor
- Certified Suicide Intervention Counsellor
- Certified Grief Support Counsellor
- Certified Ambiguous Loss Counsellor
Mental Health & Addictions Specialist, Behaviour Aid (Self-Employed)
Kingston, Ontario - May 2019 - Present
- Mental Health Crisis Response Services
- Emotional CPR (eCPR) Training Courses
- Mental Health Psychoeducational Workshop Facilitation
- Health Prevention and Promotion Educational Workshops
- Individual / Group Mental Health Counselling
Addictions Counsellor & Suicide Prevention Coordinator, Bigstone Health Commission
Wabasca, Alberta - Aug 2015 - May 2019
- Individual client counselling for co-occurring mental health and addiction disorders, in both Calling Lake and Wabasca.
- National Native Drug and Addictions Program (NNADAP) Certified Counsellor, including: Client screening; Intake; Orientation; Comprehensive assessment; Treatment planning; Counselling; Case management; Crisis intervention; Client education; Referrals to treatment centres as required; Referrals to other professionals as deemed necessary; Maintaining client file documentation / record keeping; and Consultations with other professionals as needed.
- Planned, organized and facilitated mental health promotion, awareness, and prevention campaigns and workshops, as well as youth and family social outreach programs on all Bigstone Cree Nation reserves in Northern Alberta.
- Crisis intervention and home visitation during times of loss or crisis.
- Organized and implemented suicide awareness and prevention social programming events.
- Actively involved in local suicide crisis management and intervention processes.
- Active member of the Alberta Mental Wellness Crisis Intervention Team - Deployed to various Indigenous communities throughout Canada for suicide crisis, fire/flood evacuations, missing persons, and other crises.
Healthy Families & Community Wellness Worker, Sahtu Health & Social Services
Colville Lake, Northwest Territories - May 2014 - Jun 2015
- Planned, organized and facilitated health and mental health promotion and prevention workshops and community events, in a remote Aboriginal community in Canada's High Arctic.
- Implemented the Healthy Families Program in Colville Lake, NWT - program aimed at guiding families to maximize the cognitive development of their children commencing prenatally and continuing up to age 6.
- Designed, promoted and successfully implemented a 5-week Collective Kitchen Cooking Program that serviced 80% of the community members and supplied them with free nutritious groceries weekly and taught healthy eating, meal planning, and healthy shopping.
- Taught Canada Safety Council's Babysitter Certification Course.
- Organized and ran an 8-week Summer Preschool Literacy Program.
- Assisted Behdzi Ahda First Nation Band and Colville Lake community members with local traditional ceremonies and community events.
Assistive Technologies Lab Assistant, St. Lawrence College
Kingston, Ontario - 2011 - 2012
- Assisted students with both physical and learning disabilities with the use of computers, software and assistive devices in the computer lab.
Parent Resources for Information Development & Education Program (P.R.I.D.E) Co-Facilitator
Frontenac Children's Aid Society - 2005 - 2007
- Co-facilitated P.R.I.D.E. training program to local Children's Aid Society staff members as well as prospective foster and adoptive parents.
- Delivered lectures and gave presentations to foster parents and Children's Aid Society staff.
- Valued member of the P.R.I.D.E. Implementation Committee (Parent Resources for Information Development and Education).
- Actively involved in and assisted with the creation of the curriculum during the P.R.I.D.E. training program's drafting period.
Licensed Foster Parent, Frontenac Children's Aid Society
Kingston, Ontario - 2003 - 2010
- Successfully fostered 49 children, ages newborn to 18 years of age.
- Experience with high needs children with multiple mental health and behavioural disorders and varied levels of cognitive developmental delays and special needs.
- Successfully advocated for services and resources to best meet childrens' special needs.
- Excellent counselling, teaching, coaching and motivational skills.
Private Foster Parent, Self-Employed
Kingston, Ontario - 1997 - 2003
- Privately fostered one child with severe dissociative disorder.
- Actively involved in representing the child's best interest in a precedent setting court case.
- Taught improved parenting skills to his parent and successfully transitioned child home.
Thesis Practicum: Experiential Learning & Research - 600 Hours - Sep - Dec 2013
Bosco Homes Territorial Treatment Center, Yellowknife, NT
- Completed training as a child and youth worker for Bosco Homes.
- Actively worked with 8 developmentally delayed Aboriginal youth on a daily basis, teaching, modeling, disciplining and caring for them to assist in improving behavioural difficulties.
- Proposed and created a research and design thesis on the topic of Aboriginal Cultural Awareness.
- Actively worked with the Aboriginal Cultural Resource Centre while working on thesis.
Advanced Practicum: Group Program Co-facilitation - 320 Hours - Mar - Apr 2013
Correctional Services Canada, Warkworth Institution, Programs Department, Warkworth, ON
- Assisted a CSC Certified Program Facilitator with the organization, planning and facilitation of a group National Substance Abuse Program for sexual offenders with substance use disorders in a medium security correctional institution.
- Completed a final CSC program report on one Aboriginal offender independently.
Basic Practicum: Applied Behaviour Analysis - 280 Hours - Sep - Oct 2011
Ernestown Secondary School, School-To-Community Classroom, Odessa, ON
- Completed an empirically-based behavioural assessment and preference assessment, and designed, implemented and reported on an Applied Behaviour Analysis treatment program to increase "on-task" behaviour in one high school student with Asperger's Syndrome.
Suicide Prevention & Intervention
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) 2010 - 2018
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention, Canadian Police Knowledge Network 2018
- Suicide Intervention Certification, Taking Flight International 2017
- SafeTalk Train-The-Trainer, Centre for Suicide Prevention 2017
- SafeTalk, Centre for Suicide Prevention 2017
- Tattered Teddies, Centre for Suicide Prevention 2017
- StraightTalk, Centre for Suicide Prevention 2017
- Suicide - Prevalence, Risk & Protective Factors, CMHA 2017
- Suicide to Hope, Centre for Suicide Prevention 2016
- Working with Suicide Part 1: Prevalence & Risk Factors, CCPA 2016
- Working with Suicide Part 2: Protective Factors, Treatment & Intervention, CCPA 2016
- eSuicideTalk, Centre for Suicide Prevention 2017
- Mental Health Promotion, Suicide Prevention and Strengthening Resilience Among Indigenous Youth 2016
- Strengthening Our People - Suicide Prevention 2015
Mental Health & Addictions Treatment
- Prescription Drug Training for Adults, Spirit of Healing 2017
- Mental Health Training, CASA 2017
- Narrative Therapy, CTRI 2017
- Take Home Naloxone Training, Alberta Health Services 2017
- Psychological First Aid, Alberta Health Services 2017
- Mental Health & Addictions Overview, Sue Howard Consulting Inc. 2017
- Addiction & Drugs, Sue Howard Consulting Inc. 2017
- Review on Concurrent Disorders, Bigstone Health Commission 2016
- Review on Assessment Process, Bigstone Health Commission 2016
- Concurrent Disorders Training, Treaty 8 Tribal Council 2016
- Concurrent Disorders I, Bigstone Health Commission 2016
- Concurrent Disorders II, Bigstone Health Commission 2016
- Review on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Management 2016
- Introduction to Case Management, Bigstone Health Commission 2016
- Basic Assessment, Bigstone Health Commission 2016
- Basic Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Management, Bigstone Health Commission 2016
- Seeking Safety Training Program (PTSD & Addictions), Lisa Najavits 2015
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Bigstone Health Commission 2006
- Changing the Script 2005
- Attachment - Some Current Perspectives 2004
Trauma & Crisis Response Management
- eCPR Emotional CPR Train-the-trainer 2018
- Mental Health First Aid 2013 - 2018
- Standard First Aid, CPR "HCP" /AED (2010 - 2016) & SFA "BLS" Red Cross 2010 - 2018
- Trauma Recovery Certification, Taking Flight International 2017
- Grief Support Certification, Taking Flight International 2017
- Skills for Psychological Recovery, Alberta Health Services 2017
- Crisis Response Planning, CTRI 2017
- Critical Incident Group Debriefing, CTRI 2017
- Walking Through Grief - Helping Others Deal with Loss, CTRI 2017
- Vicarious Trauma - Strategies for Resilience, CTRI 2017
- "The Closer I Get, The More Dangerous You Look": Trauma & Attachment, Dr. Julie Darke 2017
- Lateral Violence, Kweykway Consulting 2017
- Mamowih Meyo Pimatsiwin - Living Well Together, Neepinise Family Healing Centre 2017
- Crisis Intervention 2016
- Non-Violent Crisis Prevention & Intervention 2003 - 2014
- W.H.M.I.S. 2013
- Child in Need of Restraint Certification 2013
Cognitive Development - Parenting
- Level 4 Standard Teen Triple P Certification 2016
- Growing Great Kids™: Prenatal to 36 Months Tier 1 Certification 2015
- Growing Great Kids™: Growing Great Families Certification 2015
- Growing Great Kids™: Integrated Strategies Certification 2015
- Building the Bonds of Attachment 2008
- Attachment Disorder in Children, Dr. Sian Phillips 2007
- Train-the Trainer (Intro. & Adv.), Ontario Association of Children's Aid Societies 2005
- How To Talk So Kids Will Listen 2005
- Parenting from an Attachment Perspective 2004
- Parenting Through Crisis, Dr. Michael Trout 2001
Aboriginal Culture Specific Training
- Native Cultural Awareness 2013 - 2018
- Indigenous, Land Based Cultural Awareness with Cree Component 2016
- Diversity Awareness Course 2016
Health & Wellness Training
- NWT Food Safety Course - Level 1 2015
- Healthy Families Collective Kitchen Program Training 2015
- Safe Food Handling Certification 2013
- Bigstone Health Commission Transportation Training 2015
- Volunteered at Wabasca Outreach at the Canada Day 2016 Festivities for the Municipal District of Opportunity No. 17.
- Part-time student tutor for several students in my Behavioural Psychology degree program, over a 5-year period at St. Lawrence College.
- Regularly volunteered while a full-time student, at various College events, including ONTABA Conference, Behavioural Psychology Poster Gala, Open House, Orientation Day, and College Dialogues events.
HOBBIES AND INTERESTS
- Hiking, travelling, experiencing other cultures, motorcycling, swimming and watching movies.